Born: Feb. 24, 1986
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 31
Stakes wins: 0
• Tied for ninth in last year’s trainer standings with 14 victories, a single-season personal best in Hot Springs.
• Stable had already set a career-high for purse earnings ($1,754,772) in 2019 through early December.
• Worked under Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott, Kentucky Derby-winning trainers Graham Motion and Barclay Tagg and trainer Kellyn Gorder before going out on his own in November 2016. Ortiz credits four-time leading owner Danny Caldwell for helping secure one of his first major clients, Thomas Julian.
• Saddled his first career winner Dec. 7, 2016, at Turfway Park. Sully’s Dream provided Ortiz with his first career stakes victory in the $50,000 Houston Distaff Jan. 28, 2018, at Sam Houston.
• Ortiz had his first career graded stakes victory with Zulu Alpha in the $100,000 Sycamore (G3) in October 2018 at Keeneland. On behalf of Arkansas owner Michael Hui, Ortiz claimed Zulu Alpha for $80,000 in September 2018 at Churchill Downs.
• On behalf of his major clients – Arkansans Brian "Hootie" Moore, William Simon, and Brent Gasaway – Ortiz won a 12-way shake to claim Honey Bunny for $16,000 out of an April 8, 2018, victory at Oaklawn. Honey Bunny won two races at the 2019 Oaklawn meet and the $100,000 Winning Colors Stakes (G3) May 25 at Churchill Downs before selling for $300,000 at the Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale.
• Mr Dumas, owned by Moore and Simon, gave Ortiz his biggest career victory to date in the $175,000 Commonwealth Turf Cup Stakes (G3) Nov. 9 at Churchill Downs.
• Father Carlos is a former jockey who now operates Ortiz Training Stables in Ocala, Fla., where he breaks and pinhooks horses.