Residence: Hot Springs, Ark.
Biggest Oaklawn wins: 2020 Honeybee (G3) and 2021 Azeri (G2) with Shedaresthedevil
• Staton Flurry’s desire for horse ownership was fueled early. His family owns several parking lots surrounding Oaklawn and he grew up in the business.
• Flurry purchased his first horse (Let’s Get Fiscal, a $12,500 claim) at Oaklawn in March 2012, shortly before graduating with a bachelor’s degree in business administration from nearby Henderson State University. He won his first race Feb. 17, 2013, at Oaklawn with the Brad Cox-trained Full Steam Ahead.
• Among the current stars in Flurry’s stable is 2020 Kentucky Oaks winner Shedaresthedevil, who he owns in partnership. The filly won Oaklawn’s 2020 Honeybee Stakes (G3) and 2021 Azeri Stakes (G2). And, her early 2022 goals are the Azeri and Apple Blossom Handicap.
• Prior to Shedaresthedevil, Flurry’s big horse was Mr. Misunderstood, who captured nine stakes races, including the Commonwealth Turf (G3) in 2017 at Churchill Downs, Wise Dan (G2) in 2018 at Churchill Downs and the River City Handicap (G3) in 2018 and 2019 at Churchill Downs. Mr. Misunderstood was named after a 2015 album by country music artist Eric Church.
• Flurry has also campaigned stakes winners Five O One – named for Hot Springs’ area code – Uncle Brennie, Patchofbadweather, Little Miss Flurry and Imma Bling. Five O One gave Flurry his first Oaklawn stakes victory in the $100,000 Rainbow for 3-year-old Arkansas-bred colts and geldings in 2017.
• Flurry designed his own silks, which feature a prominent white snowflake on the front and back and black and white checkered sleeves, the latter representing his love of auto racing.