Residence: University Park, Ill. & Thunder Ranch, Anthony, Fla.
- Earned second straight leading owner title in 2013.
- Originally a small outfit beginning with a handful of horses in 2001, Midwest expanded through the decade then boomed in 2009 with the hiring of trainer Jaime Ness. They finished second nationally that year with 236 wins. Papiese’s team has since dominated the national rankings the last four years, winning 310 races in 2010, 418 in ‘11, a record 542 in ‘12 and had 401 in ‘13. Their 542 wins easily bested a 38-year record of 494 wins set in 1974 by owner Dan Lasater.
- The wins come through aggressively playing the claiming game and the outsized earnings arrived despite never winning a Graded stakes race. Papiese has also sought to vertically integrate his operation, employing his own van drivers and signing deals for his own hay and feed. They leased Hawthorne Racecourse in Chicago during the summer of 2012 to use as a training center for their 100 horses there.
- Midwest was a finalist of the 2011 and 2012 Eclipse Award for Outstanding Owner.
- Papiese and his wife Karan own and run Midwest Store Fixtures, a family business that outfits display cases, kiosks and other custom products for retail outlets. One of their biggest clients is AT&T.