Born: June 28, 1939
Birthplace: Great Falls, MT
- Whiting had a stellar 2013 meet thanks Razorback and Oaklawn Handicap winner Cyber Secret and Bachelor Stakes winner Officer Alex.
- Is best known for winning the 1992 Kentucky Derby with Lil E. Tee, a colt who hit the board in both the Southwest and Arkansas Derby prior to giving Hall of Fame jockey Pat Day his first and only win in the Run for the Roses. Lil E. Tee would go on to win the 1993 Razorback at Oaklawn.
- Whiting has been training since 1968 and earned his first win in 1969 at Lincoln Downs in Rhode Island with a horse named Fortunatus. He learned the business from his father Lyle, who was a jockey and trainer in the 1920s.
- He has quietly piled up wins on his circuit of Oaklawn and Churchill Downs – where he became the 10th trainer to saddle 300 winners.
- Among his top runners are At the Threshold, 1997 Rebel Stakes winner Phantom on Tour, 1985 Rebel and Southwest winner Clever Allemont, three-time Oaklawn stakes winner Karen’s Tom, two-time Oaklawn stakes star Classy Irene, 2010 Smarty Jones winner Dryfly and 2011 Northern Spur winner Uncle Brent.