Drs. K.K & Devi Jayaraman
Residence: Ocala, Fla.
- Originally from Kerala, India, the husband and wife came to the United States in 1963 to practice medicine and settled in Hot Springs, Ark., where K.K. was a cardiologist and Devi was a pathologist. They retired in 1998 and moved to Tiffany Farm in Ocala, but continue to winter in Hot Springs and oversee their local runners.
- Frequently among Oaklawn’s leading owners, their top runner during the 2013 race meet was homebred Heaven’s Runaway, third in the $300,000 Southwest Stakes. Finished second in the standings with 15 wins in 2012.
- Devi was introduced to racing through a fellow doctor and late friend Thomas Burrow. When he died in 1984, she and K.K. helped his son disperse his stable, but K.K. ended up purchasing some 18 horses including an eventual Grade 3 winner and was hooked.
- Their biggest star was 2009 Belmont Stakes, Travers, Jockey Club Gold Cup winner and 3-year-old Eclipse Champion Summer Bird, who had finished third in the Arkansas Derby earlier that year.
- They were the leading breeders in Arkansas in 1997-98.