Born: 12/6/61, Pine Bluff, Ark.
Resides: Hot Springs
• Jerry Caroom, a 1980 Hot Springs Lakeside High School graduate, is having a terrific meet and as through Feb. 21, was Oaklawn’s co-second-leading owner with five victories.
• Caroom has approximately 30 horses in training, all with Hall of Fame trainer Jack Van Berg of Hot Springs.
• After purchasing his first horse in 2012 (in partnership), Caroom became more heavily involved in racing as a sole owner following a chance meeting with Van Berg on a flight from Las Vegas to Arkansas before the 2014 Oaklawn meeting, when the trainer was relocating from California.
• Caroom won his first race at Oaklawn Jan. 18, 2015, with Fine Cognac, who also represented Van Berg’s first winner in Hot Springs since 2008.
• Caroom’s first winner of the 2016 meet was Dakota Fred ($69.60) opening day. Caroom won a maiden-allowance race the following day with Giant Trick, a 3-year-old Neko Bay colt.
• Caroom won four races overall in 2014 and 14 last year, including 10 at Lone Star, where he was third-leading owner.
• Owns XtraLight, a Houston-based company that designs, creates, invents and manufactures energy-efficient LED and traditional lighting. XtraLight is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.