POINDEXTER THOROUGHBREDS (Allen Poindexter)
Resides: Rogersville, Mo.
• Poindexter, Oaklawn’s leading owner in 2010, is off to a good start this year, as his homebred, Chanel’s Legacy, won the $125,000 Dixie Belle Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Jan. 21.
• Poindexter, an owner for approximately 30 years, also won the Dixie Belle in 2013 with American Sugar.
• Primary business is Allen’s Mechanical, a plumbing, heating and air conditioning company that specializes in large commercial projects (hospitals, schools, prisons, etc.).
• Has approximately 20 horses in training, including 15 at Oaklawn with trainer Lynn Chleborad. Also uses trainer Dave Cannizzo in New York and trainers Joe Sharp and Dallas Stewart in Louisiana.
• Has finished ranked in the top 100 nationally in victories the last decade and is also a successful breeder.
• Solely, or in partnership, Poindexter has bred Miss Mischief, a Sovereign Award winner as Canada’s champion older mare and champion female sprinter of 2015; multiple stakes winner Awesome Speed, ninth in last year’s Preakness (G1); G2 winner Isotherm; and Cool Arrow, winner of the $300,000 Springboard Mile Dec. 11 at Remington Park.
• Has approximately 60 broodmares.
• Lives on 60 acres in Rogersville (just outside Springfield), where he raises approximately 25 homebreds annually. Keeps many of his mares on another 200 acres in nearby Pleasant Hope.
• Has roughly 40 2-year-olds, but plans to keep only “8-10” to race.
• Normally sells his high-end prospects, many at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale. Sold a Medaglia d’Oro colt for $600,000 at last May’s Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2-year-olds in training sale.